Thresholds for Competitive Solicitations:
|>$5,000 to $10,000.00 Purchasing Agent Discretion (excluding shop catalogs vendors)||>$5,000 to $25,000.00 Purchasing Agent Discretion||*All construction and building maintenance activities at CSU are under the direct control of Facilities Management.
Campus departments are not authorized to undertake construction or building maintenance activities.
Contact Facilities Management (www.facilities.colostate.edu)
|$10,000 to $150,000 Documented Quote (DQ) via State of Colorado "BIDS" System||$25,000 to $500,000 Documented Quote (DQ) via State of Colorado "BIDS" System|
|$150,000 and more Formal Invitation For Bid (IFB) via State of Colorado "BIDS" System||$500,000 and more Formal Request for Proposal (RFP) via State of Colorado "BIDS" System|
- Purchasing Agent Discretion - Competition not required. However, PA may elect to solicit competition if deemed in the best interest of the University. All purchases greater than $1,500 require a written quotation per the Uniform Commercial Code.
- "BIDS" System - State of Colorado Internet bidding system. Only method of bid notification allowed.
- Documented Quotation - Informal quote process. Must be posted on the State of Colorado "BIDS" System for a minimum of three (3) business days.
- Invitation for Bid - Formal bid process. Must be posted on the State of Colorado "BIDS" System for a minimum of fourteen (14) calendar days.
- Request for Proposal - Formal process which considers criteria other than prices in evaluation and award. Must be posted on the State of Colorado "BIDS" System for a minimum of thirty (30) calendar days.
- Departments are delegated the use of the Automatic Purchase Order (APO) when making purchases of goods and services that total $5,000 or less, or a Disbursement Voucher (DV) when paying invoices totaling $5,000 or less.
- The University Procurement Card (PCARD) may be used for purchases of goods and services totaling $3,000 or less (unless a higher amount, up to $5,000, has been approved for the cardholder) when the use of an APO or DV is not viable. PCARD is a point-of-sale payment method and should not be used to pay invoices after-the-fact.
- CSU Marketplace. University contracted suppliers in Kuali Shop Catalogs up to $10,000 for certain goods.
- Purchasing Agent discretion as noted above.
- University price agreement, State of Colorado price agreement or Group Purchasing Organization (GPO) agreement. Consult with Purchasing Agent.
- Competitive solicitation. DQ, IFB or RFP via the State of Colorado BIDS system. Consult with Purchasing Agent.
- Sole source. See sole source guidelines at www.purchasing.colostate.edu and consult with Purchasing Agent.
- University financial policy requires that an approved commitment document, either a purchase order or contract, be issued for all purchases of goods and services, greater than $5,000, prior to committing University funds.
- If a competitive solicitation is required (see solicitation process above), the Purchasing Agent conducts the solicitation and, together with the ordering department, determines the basis for the award. Once an award is made, the Purchasing Agent issues the PO (or contract).
- Unauthorized purchase. An unauthorized purchase occurs when financial obligations are incurred on the University’s behalf without prior approval by use of an approved purchase order or contract. Failure to obtain an approved PO or contract, where one is required, may result in personal liability under Colorado Revised Statutes §24-30-202(3).
Expectations for Procurement Services
|Purchase Requisition:||Documented Quote:||Invitation for Bid:||Request for Proposal:|
|Simple PRs, those in the PA discretionary range, should be processed within two workdays from receipt.||Preparation time for simple DQ is two to five workdays from receipt. Add "BIDS" time as noted above and bid analysis time.||Preparation time for simple IFB is two to five workdays from receipt. Add "BIDS" time as noted above and bid analysis time.|
|PRs which require competition will be processed according to bid preparation and "BIDS" posting times as well as time for bid analysis.||Preparation time for DQ with detailed specifications is three to seven workdays from receipt. Add "BIDS" time as noted above.||Preparation time for IFB with detailed specifications is three to seven workdays from receipt. Add "BIDS" time as noted above.||Preparation time for RFP is seven to fifteen workdays from receipt. Add "BIDS" time as noted above.|
|Bid analysis time will vary from two to ten workdays.||Bid analysis time will vary from two to ten workdays.||RFP analysis according to the schedule of activities listed in the RFP.|
Established Service Levels for Communications:
Telephone messages and e-mails should be returned the same day, but no later than the following workday.